Event Coordinator: Justin Brown
On November 24, 2014 the UBC CSCE Student Chapter welcomed Greg Nichvalodoff to provide a professional development seminar titled “Leadership and Teamwork Development”. Greg is an executive coach and is the founder and president of Inscape Consulting Group where he travels the world providing coaching in organizational development, executive performance coaching, business diagnostics and strategic planning for all types of businesses.
Greg’s two hour seminar provided UBC CSCE members with great insight in becoming a leader and working more effectively as a team. To become an effective leader, Greg highlighted the importance of focussing on your own strengths, modelling the way, encouraging the heart and believing that becoming a great leader takes lifelong learning. When Greg first spoke about teamwork development, a distinction was immediately made between a team, which is held mutually accountable, and a group that assembles to help each other perform. Deciding to work as an effective team begins with the triangle of trust, and can foster to a performing team that will outperform the sum of its individual parts.
From the beginning, Greg made it clear that he was thrilled to pass on his knowledge to UBC CSCE members and we could not be more grateful for the opportunity to learn. Greg has graciously provided us with numerous slide decks that can be found at the following links:
Furthermore, here is Greg’s recommended reading list with comments:
- Leadership Challenge – This book is a must for your leadership journey
- It’s OK to Manage Your Boss – Yes, there are books on managing up
- Quiet – The Power of Introverts In A World That Can’t Stop Talking – Great insight into introverts and leadership
- Work Types – If you are serious about understanding individuals that are not your MBTI type – this one is simple and easy to read
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team – The pyramid discussed during the UBC CSCE seminar
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Likely one of the best books on becoming effective as a leader
- Clear Leadership – Sustaining Real Collaboration and Partnership at Work – dealing with difficult conversations in the workplace
- Co-active Coaching – Sharpen your coaching skills
- Fierce Conversations
- How to Win Friends and Influence People – In my opinion, the best book on teaching us how to build relationships
- Who – Are you hiring the right people? This book will help you with it
- Top Grading – Recruiting and promoting your hires need not be complicated
The UBC CSCE Student Chapter would like to thank Greg and Inscape Consulting Group for hosting a fantastic professional development seminar for our members. For further information about Greg and Inscape Consulting Group, visit the webpage or follow him LinkedIn.